The Office of Student and Community Services has strong collaborations with the Department of Social Services (Child Protective Services), Buena Park Police Department, the Buena Park Collaborative and the Boys & Girls Club of Buena Park.
Student and Community Services
Welcome to the Student & Community Services Department!
Student & Community Services (SCS) supports BPSD students and families by ensuring compliance with California’s education laws. Responsibilities includes student attendance, school climate/safety, support for McKinney Vento and Foster Youth pupil enrollment, discipline procedures (suspension & expulsion), ACCESS alternative education placements, and student transfers. As an extension of the Human Resources Division and in partnership with Educational Services, the Student & Community Services Team is dedicated to improving student and family welfare and overall student attendance, addressing challenges, and preventing chronic absences and non-participation in academic progress.
Our mission is to improve student performance by implementing a strong network of services and support for students and their families. Student & Community Services provides an interdisciplinary approach to the support of students, schools, parents and community. Student & Community Services has interventions that can be initiated at the earliest sign of at-risk behavior such as attendance issues, violence, substance abuse, child abuse, and crisis level support as a result of physical, mental health or other related needs.
SCS has formed a strong collaboration with community agencies, law enforcement, county office of education, parents, students and staff. Through preventative actions such as – recognition of good and improved attendance, educating and engaging all students and parents with an awareness of the importance of regular school attendance, monitoring school attendance data regularly to track individual and group progress – we seek to eliminate barriers to attendance and participation thus promoting the academic and social success of our students, which in turn promotes a dynamic and innovative future community of Buena Park and beyond.
Contact our team at:
We provide services in the following areas:
- Compulsory Attendance Laws: SART support, School Attendance Review Board (SARB) and related attendance issues such as district attendance mediation
- Supporting schools in understanding attendance laws such as truancy, chronic absenteeism
- Board Policy and District processes regarding Inter District/Intra District permits, Allen Bill attendance and residency verification
- McKinney Vento Program / Students Experiencing Homeless
- District Foster Youth Liaison
- Tier 3 discipline, including suspension and expulsion process
- Child Abuse Reporting
- Student Discipline Issues and Education Code Violations
- Investigations and Due Process Procedures
- Pupil and Parent Rights
- Drug and Alcohol Use Intervention / Safe and Drug-Free Schools
- Liaison for parent concerns / back up for Uniform Complaint Procedure
- District 504 Liaison
- School Safety Plan, Violence Prevention and Intervention
- Tobacco Use and Prevention Education (TUPE)
- School Resource Officers (BPPD) Liaison & Gang Reduction & Intervention Program (GRIP) Support
- Inter/Intra District Transfer Process
- Community Services and Engagement
- Tier 3, Social Support Services
Elsie Briseño Simonovski, Ph.D
Director, Student & Community Services
SEPTEMBER COMMUNITY NEWS UPDATE
Youth can ride the Orange County bus for free!
Youth ages 6-18 can ride county buses for free from now until February 2022. As a part of a new grant that the Orange County Transit Authority received from Caltrans and the California Resource Board, the youth bus passes will work towards encouraging a new generation of riders as well as a good option for local communities, schools and the economy. Additionally, taking more cars off the road will improve the overall air quality.
For more information about the free youth bus passes, visit http://www.octa.net/Bus/Fares-and-Passes/Specialty-Passes/Youth-Pass/
To contact us for a free youth bus pass, please visit your child's school or contact the Office of Student and Community Services at CWApermits@bpsd.us or 714-736-4253