Tobacco Use & Prevention Education (TUPE)
TUPE: Tobacco Use Prevention Education Program
The purpose of the TUPE program is to reduce youth tobacco use by helping youth make healthful tobacco-related decisions through tobacco-specific educational instruction and activities that build knowledge as well as social skills and youth development assets.
While the primary focus of the program is tobacco prevention, including e-cigarettes/vape pens, our strategies are comprehensive and include information on alcohol, marijuana, and other drugs. Many of our recent efforts are provided through our Department of Justice grant and OCDE TUPE Grant. Through these and other efforts of our community support providers such as OC GRIP and the Buena Park Police Department, students can also learn to building a wide variety of important and relevant skills including communication, planning, public speaking, and decision making.
Our program includes classroom-based substance abuse prevention programs, intervention and cessation services, and youth development activities, such as peer education.
- Classroom-Based Prevention Programs: CATCHmybreath is a research-validated tobacco and drug prevention program and proven to reduce the experimental and continued use of drugs.
- Intervention Support & Cessation Resources: Brief Intervention is a short-term, one-on-one intervention that consists of at least 4 sessions for young people who use tobacco and/or other drugs. It utilizes motivational interviewing, cognitive behavior therapy, and the stages of change model to meet the needs of adolescents.
- Youth Development: Teams of students from our middle school are informed about the dangers of tobacco use. These students deliver anti-tobacco messages at their school through classroom presentations, school-wide and district-wide events.
NEW! 2020-2021 New TUPE Grant Partnership with Orange County Department of Education
The purpose of the TUPE program is to reduce youth tobacco use by helping young people make healthy tobacco-related decisions through tobacco-specific, research-validated educational instruction and activities that build knowledge as well as social skills and youth development assets. TUPE funding originates from tobacco tax revenue and provides prevention programs in grades six through twelve.
The Orange County TUPE Consortium, led by the Orange County Department of Education, is a partnership of eleven school districts. Participating school districts are: OCDE ACCESS (Alternative Education Division), Buena Park School District, Fountain Valley School District, Garden Grove Unified School District, Huntington Beach City School District, Laguna Beach Unified School District, Ocean View School District, Saddleback Valley Unified School District, Santa Ana Unified School District, Tustin Unified School District and Westminster School District.
- Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Prevention Curricula
Youth Development Activities
Tobacco Use Cessation Services
Tobacco Use Intervention Services
Click on the image above to find out what electronic cigarettes do have!
NEW! January 2021 update.
Please find flyers for Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention (AOD) Services geared towards families, offered in English and Spanish and school staff. Additionally, the OCDE AOD Team provides distance learning curriculum series for grades 4-6. Students will engage in an evidence-based drug prevention program aligned with the five core competencies of social-emotional learning. Students will participate in 8 interactive lessons focused on developing essential life skills and healthy attitudes, emphasizing choosing to be drug-free. To schedule a presentation for your students or for more information, please contact Michel Chavez email@example.com
- California Smokers' HelpLine: Free services for teens and adults, including self-help materials and one-on-one counseling. Services are available in multiple languages.
- English: 1-800-NO BUTTS (1-800-662-8887) | Spanish: 1-800-45 NO FUME (1-800-456-6386)
- Chew Tobacco: 1-800-844-CHEW (1-800-844-2439)
- SmokeFree.gov Smart Phone Apps: NCI QuitPal, QuitSTART, QuitGuide
- Smokefree TXT Support for Teens: Text QUIT to iQuit (47848)
Elsie Briseno Simonovski, Ph.D.
Director, Student & Community Services
6885 Orangethorpe Ave.
Buena Park, CA 90620